Saturday, July 4, 2009

Strawberry Pie


Strawberry Pie was always a tradition on the 4th of July when I was growing up. When I was shopping today on the 4th of July strawberries were only $0.99 a pound! It was fate, damn the heat I'm making a strawberry pie!

This is my mother's recipe, I'm not sure where she got it from, as I recall it was on an old yellowing index card so you know its good.

  • 9 inch baked pie shell
  • 3 pints fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
  1. Wash and hull the berries. Reserve half (the best looking ones) and mash the rest.
  2. Add sugar and cornstarch.
  3. Mix well and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickends and clear.
  4. Stir in the lemon juice and cool.
  5. Add the remaining berries saving 6 for garnish.
  6. pour into the pie shell and chill.
  7. Before serving, top with whipped cream and garnish with the remaining berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment